Sunday, January 22, 2012

Interview: Robert Radcliffe, author of 180 Degrees

Please welcome Robert Radcliffe, author of 180 Degrees, who took the time to answer questions with regards to his new non-fiction book, an inspiring autobiography of a once homeless kid addicted to drugs, turned sober, self-made millionaire by the age of 30.


To start off, can you tell me a little bit about yourself?  How did you become interested in writing this story?
I went from being a daily-using drug addict and occasional ‘big shot’ dealer to, eventually, a homeless junkie living on the streets. Today I am a completely sober, self-reliant, self-employed husband, father, and self-made millionaire. I wrote 180 Degrees because a friend convinced me it was my duty to tell my story; and by doing so could save a life. 

Can you tell us a little about your book? How difficult was this for you to write? 
It took a few years to write 180 Degrees and it wasn’t easy. However, I have realized after a long time that sharing my story is in fact a great way to share my lesson’s learned. For years I hadn’t even considered writing an autobiography and it wasn’t until an acquaintance of mine turned on the light bulb one day by reminding me that a book like this would not be for me, rather it would be to help the millions of people that are struggling with the nightmare of addiction.

What was your greatest challenge while writing this novel? 
With my wife, sons, and real estate career it was hard to find time to sit down and focus on writing. I got all my writing done early in the morning, sometimes even starting at 3AM.

What was the pivotal point in your life? And how did this change your life?
Many factors contributed to changing my life from being a drug addict to a successful business man. The trials, tribulations and consequences of addiction caused my life to spiral downward till I hit rock bottom. The moment I decided I actually wanted to change my life and get sober was the pivotal turning point.

As a teacher, I often see students who become addicted to drugs or alcohol.  What would you say to these students in order to motivate them to turn their life around? 
Read my story and you won’t want to experiment with drugs or alcohol.

Can you share with us any projects that you are currently working on or plans for the future? What can fans expect next from you?
My goal is to reach as many people as possible with my story, but I’m not sure what the future holds.

Favourite authors? Role models?
Some of my favorite authors include Rhonda Byrne, Napoleon Hill, Robert Kiyosaki, David Schwartz, Og Mandino, Anthony Robbins, Stephen R Covey, and Peter Lynch. You can check out my reading list here - http://www.the180blog.com/p/reading-list.html

If you could anything in your life over again, or do anything over again, would you? Or would that change the person you are now too much?
I wouldn’t change a thing about my life, it’s made me who I am today.

What do you like to do when you are not writing or selling real estate?
Meditate. Jog. Read. Surf. Check in with friends.

Is there anything else you would like to share with your readers?
I hope you enjoy reading 180 Degrees! It is currently available on Kindle for only $3.99. Be sure to check out the 180 Degrees website (http://www.the180blog.com/), it includes behind the scenes views and helpful resources. 



Author Information
Robert abandoned the deadly path that drug abuse and drug dealing was leading him down. After considerable struggles, at the age of twenty-two (March 11, 1991) Robert was able to turn his life around "180 Degrees.” Robert soon realized that sobriety and hard work provided him inner peace and prosperity beyond his highest expectations, resulting in becoming a self-made millionaire by the age of thirty. Eternally grateful to everyone who helped him become and remain sober, Robert felt an
overwhelming duty to reach out to addicts like himself and hopes his story will inspire others battling addiction to find their own success.

Once achieving monetary abundance, Robert has been an active citizen and philanthropist. Deeply concerned for the well-being of young adults, Robert has been the speaker for drug and alcohol abuse classes at high schools, juvenile detention centers, recovery hospitals and rehabilitation centers. Also, he is a panel speaker and secretary at many twelve-step meetings.

In 1998, Robert was a Co-Founder of the Golf Tournament benefitting Habit for Humanity Charity at the Malibu Country Club. In 2000, 2001 and 2002 Robert sponsored the Charity Tennis Tournament benefitting Spinal Muscular Atrophy at the Riviera Country Club. And in 2003 and 2004 he co-sponsored the Tennis Tournament benefitting Chrysalis, which took place at The Riviera Country Club. 

Some of Robert's business accomplishments include real estate office manager, agent coach, and has been the key note speaker at over fifty company office meetings, participated in agent training videos, and he has been featured in print and on television. With over twenty years experience in real estate, he is considered one of the nation's leading agents.

Now, at the age of forty, Robert is a successful business man and loving family man residing in Los Angeles, California with his wife and two sons.

Take a look at this video:



3 comments:

  1. Wow. What a story. It's amazing to me how one person could go through so many life changes in such a relatively short amount of time. And I really respect Robert for wanting to tell his story for others, as well as to help himself heal.


    Smiles!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tremendous story! Thanks for posting the interview!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly recommend 180 Degrees. It's a page-turner and a must read!

    ReplyDelete